Matt and I have entertained a few times this holiday season and each time I’ve made this hot dip. I got this recipe from a girlfriend and after sampling numerous times, I asked her what was in it. She stated “fried mushrooms and onions” and she had me. It was love. The few times I’ve made this for friends, it’s gotten rave reviews. Plus, I know it’s good when it passes the hubby test – hovering over the dip while eating it with a spoon. Enough said 🙂
It’s super easy too with ingredients you’ll likely already have in your fridge and pantry. With two busy boys, I don’t have time to chop, grate, and peel and I’m sold on any recipe that lets me step away for a couple minutes.
- Block of cream cheese
- garlic (I use minced but you could use powder)
- Miracle Whip
- seasoning salt
- shredded cheese (I used cheddar in this post but you can also use mozza)
- Crackers, nachos and/or bread
First fry the chopped mushrooms and onions in melted butter on medium heat until the onions are translucent. Add the minced garlic.
Add the block of cream cheese. To speed up the melting process, I cut into pieces and stir frequently so the cheese doesn’t burn.
Once your cream cheese is melted, add the Miracle Whip and stir.
Add the rest of your seasonings on top: pepper, dill, and seasoning salt. I add half of the grated cheese to the mixture at this time.
Place in an oven proof dish and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. Bake at 350 uncovered for 15 minutes until cheese is bubbling. Serve with crackers, nachos and/or pieces of bread and gobble it all up.
ps – Adding bacon would be a great option too.
Thank you Amanda for letting me share one of your family’s favourites.
Cheers and Merry Christmas!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 block of cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp dill
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup Miracle Whip
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms and cook until onions are translucent. Add in minced garlic and stir.
- Add block of cream cheese to the mixture and stir until melted.
- Once melted, add in the Miracle Whip and seasonings and stir. Sprinkle half of the cheese on top and stir until melted.
- Add mixture to oven safe square dish and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Place in oven and cook until cheese is melted and bubbling.